Thank you for your interest in volunteering to continue to better the I&M Canal National Heritage Area.
Annual Spring Clean-Up
Claim Your Section Of The Canal Trails!
The Illinois and Michigan Canal State Trail is 62 miles from Rockdale (Joliet) to LaSalle and is a popular recreational trail utilized by hikers, bikers, and joggers. After the long winter, debris and litter descend upon the trail and banks of the canal, and, as an advocate for the I&M Canal National Heritage Area, we organize clean-ups to beautify the surroundings.
Our annual I&M Canal Spring Clean-Up is held the third week of April around Earth Day. To participate:
- Grab your friends, family, co-workers, etc. and form a group.
- Choose a date that works best for you
- Email Mara Moore at [email protected] to coordinate with her on claiming a section of the canal to clean.
- Then come on out and clean the canal!
We start taking reservations at the beginning of the year and until we run out of sections.
Additional Volunteer Opportunities
We are always looking for people that want to aid our cause by:
- Providing additional support for our Boat Tours
- Contributing to re-enactments and interpretive activities
- Supporting events
- Coordinating and helping us execute events, activities and programs
If you would like to volunteer, please email Mara Moore at [email protected] to discuss your interest and the available opportunities.