In August 1984, President Ronald Reagan signed a bill establishing the Illinois & Michigan Canal National Heritage Area, America’s first National Heritage Area. This “new kind of national park” was the first explicit marriage of preservation, conservation, recreation, and economic development.
Join us as we celebrate our 33rd anniversary on Friday August 25th, 3:00pm – 5:00pm at the Lock 16 Cafe & Visitor Center!
This year we are celebrating at the newly branded I&M Canal Visitor Center at Lock 16 in LaSalle. Our now full-service visitors’ center features:
– Directional and way-finding signage
– A 120 foot story board
– A 40 foot mural wall of the western terminus of the canal
– A 12 foot map table featuring the Illinois & Michigan Canal National Heritage Area (IMCNHA)
– Regional brochures and visitor guides
– Café & Coffee Bar
– Local craft beers & wines
– Ice Cream & Novelties
– Gift shop with unique signature souvenirs
– 55-seat Vintage room for group lunches, parties, meetings
– Mule-pulled boat rides
All adjacent to the western terminus of the I&M Canal and historic downtown LaSalle.
Call (815)220-1848 to RSVP.